Tuesday, March 15, 2011

 

Chocolate Rum Cake anyone?   So while we were in a baseball tournament in Arizona, I had a little slice of rum cake that made me crave the Tortuga chocolate rum cake I had during my Caribbean cruise.  I couldn't get it out of my mind when I we got back to Mobile, so I found an easy recipe on Allrecipes.com.  It got rave reviews and seemed so simple!  Here's the link to the recipe.

I tried making it on Mardis Gras (which is a big deal down here), but all the liquor stores were closed!!  I got a chance on Wednesday and whipped up a quick one.  I couldn't find a bundt pan so I used an angel food cake tube pan I found at Walmart.  


I used golden rum as opposed to white rum just to give it more punch, and I made twice the amount of glaze since the cake didn't seem as moist as I would have liked it to be.  For the second batch of glaze I used brown sugar as opposed to white sugar and I loved the deeper molasses flavor it gave it.  


I had problems with getting the glaze to soak in evenly (especially in the middle) despite making two batches of glaze.  I think next time, I'm going to poke some holes throughout the middle before pouring the glaze to help with the absorption. 

Here's a slice of the cake paired with some So' delicious vanilla coconut ice cream (MY FAVORITE).  
Sorry I didn't take a picture of the finished cake out of the pan.  It was boring looking (but the real reason was because I was too busy cutting into it and devouring half the cake myself to take a picture!)

I felt so guilty eating half the cake myself in a day, I brought it to the baseball field the next day to ease the guilt.  They devoured it and loved it.  Guess I'll be making it again soon!  I'm about to invest in a nice bundt pan!

No comments:

Post a Comment